Last Update: May 24, 2013
All calves born so far have been sold; we have 6 more spring calves on the way! We expect at least two calves to be born in the next couple of weeks.
Spring calves have begun to arrive. There will be some polled and red calves - all chondro free (long-legged). Contact us with your specific desires and we can let you know more details on the calves to be born.
We can notify you and email photos of each calf that is born. There is no commitment on your part for this service. If you are interested in a BeaverTree Dexter, we encourage you to contact us as early as possible. Many of our animals sell within hours/days of being born.
2013 Calving Schedule. Here is a listing of some of our cows that will have calves in the coming year. We will update routinely.
Clover - Spring (heifer born 4/29)
Queen - Spring (bull calf born 5/22)
Charity - Spring (may be red, long-legged)
Violet - Early Summer (will be red, long-legged)
Sugar - Fall (likely black, could be short-legged)
Torry - Fall (probably polled, long-legged, if polled will test for homozygous polled)
Redbug - Fall (will be red, could be short-legged)
Bennan - Fall (likely black, could be short-legged)
Rain - Fall (long-legged)
Beth - Fall (chance of red, dun or black, 50% chance short-legged)
Lucy - Fall (50% chance dun, 50% chance short-legged)
Hope - Fall (50% chance short-legged)
Halter Breaking And Tameness Scale. We assign a "rating" to every Dexter in terms of how halter broken and tame they are. This is a practical scale that reflects real-world experience. We guarantee that each Dexter is rated accurately based on the following scale:
1: Runs at the sight of you. Not halter broken at all.
2: Stays put; you can walk near but not touch. If you get too close will walk away. Only marginally halter broken.
3: May let you feed treats. May let you touch or pet (especially while eating) or may move away if you try to touch. May be halter broken but needs work still.
4: Somewhat hard to catch, but performs well on halter once it is on. This animal is halter broken, will lead and can be shown with reasonable effort.
5: Can walk up and put a halter on in the middle of a pasture. This is an incredibly tame cow. Can be shown by anyone. FEW cows reach this level - we only assign this rating to exceptionally tame animals that we have worked with extensively.
References - We have NEVER had a dissatisfied customer. We are happy to provide a list of customers you can contact in advance of a purchase from BeaverTree Farm.
Sales Policy: No animals are considered sold until a deposit is received. Final payment is due upon delivery. Delivery charges are in addition to the sales price (currently $1.50 per loaded mile). BeaverTree Farm reserves the right to not finalize a sale if we believe it is not in the best interest of the animal. Should that happen, we will refund all monies paid to that point, including delivery charges. We care where our animals go!
Forms of Payment: We accept cash, checks (must clear), PayPal (and credit cards through PayPal).
What you get when you buy from Beavertree Farm:
1. A Dexter that has been handled on a daily basis to insure a great disposition. If you are not happy with the Dexter you buy from us, we are not happy! In the case of an adult cow, we use the following classification:
- Bred Cow. This cow has a positive pregnancy test, using the BioPryn laboratory. Confirmed pregnancy test, in writing, provided.
- Exposed Cow. This cow has been in the pasture with a specific bull and is likely pregnant. We have not done a blood test.
- Open Cow. This cow IS NOT pregnant to the best of our knowlege.
2. Dehorning (if applicable & desired). Please let us know if you want a horned calf as we usually dehorn at about 1-2 weeks of age.
3. All vaccinations/worming and vet check if transporting out of state. Health records provided to new owner at delivery.
4. Halter broken and trained to lead. Poly rope halter provided at delivery.
5. Registration/transfer in the American Dexter Cattle Assoication.
6. Unlimited phone & email support after the sale - for the LIFE of your Dexter.
7. Showing your Dexter (or helping you show) at major events throughout the year (if desired).
8. Early notification of new calves that might be available, and discounted pricing for repeat customers. Many of our customers are repeat buyers!
** The above does not apply to a steer being sold for beef.